Friday, January 30, 2009

Treadmill and Reading

I went to the gym solo today, since Melissa was busy. I fell into my old habit of reading on the treadmill. I'm still not back to my normal pace. Today I walked about 3.25 miles and rode the bike about the same - at least it was better than nothing. When Melissa joins me I push myself harder because I need extra motivation to get on the elliptical machine which she loves. I don't like it because its harder work than the treadmill, but my doctor and a physical therapists have told me that I shouldn't run on a treadmill and that the elliptical would be best for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading on the treadmill and bikes at the gym! What is an elliptical machine?

Robin said...

Hi K,

In my opinion it's a form of torture...but its supposed to be good for you.

An elliptical trainer (also cross trainer or simply elliptical) is a stationary exercise machine used to simulate walking or running without causing excessive pressure to the joints, hence decreasing the risk of impact injuries.

Elliptical trainers offer a non-impact cardiovascular workout that can vary from light to high intensity based on the resistance preference set by the user.

for info -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptical_trainer

Anonymous said...

Oh, OK, we have cross trainers at our gym, but I have never tried one!

Robin said...

K - try one and you will see why I don't like it... Actually my friend told me I don't like it because I work too hard. She said if I would go slower I'd like it better. Thing is I didn't even realize that I was going fast until she told me. See - fast is my normal speed when I slow down I feel like stopping or sleeping...