Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Recipe Analysis

Do you have a favorite recipe that you would love to analyze nutritionally? If so check out this or the updated version here. I like create my own recipes often healthier versions of old favorites - of course when I share them with friends they tell me that I can't call the recipe the original name since I changed over half the ingredients.

I was sorely disappointed when I put the ingredients for my special cookies into the recipe analyzer and it came up with a C- but there were other good things about the recipe as apposed to the original. I need to remember that dessert/cookie recipes, no matter how healthy they are made, still aren't the nutritional equivalent to eating fresh fruits and vegetables and lean protein.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I just entered the original pancake recipe from the Betty Crocker book and it receives a C+ and then entered what I did and it got a B+ - I'm okay with that :)

substitions were - whole wheat flour, ground flax, and oat bran, I also used double the milk by using 2X the powder milk and 1 time the water instead of milk.

Julie said...

I wanted to come and see your gadgets. They are very nice. I was afraid to use the body fat one, but other than that I like 'em all! Nice Blog.

Robin said...

Thanks Julie, I really like the recipe analysis in this post, but it can be depressing for desserts/cookies, but I guess we shouldn't base our diets on desserts even if they are healthier...

As for the body fat one - I'm not even going there until after the baby is born and maybe a while after that...or maybe I should do it right away and be thrilled to watch the numbers drop...