Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cancer Prevention Info at Write Eating

Kay at Write Eating has a post from yesterday about eating for cancer prevention. Basically it's all those foods your mother always told you to eat (or should have) - fruits, veggies and whole grains (look at the flax section especially). Check out her post for the specifics. Kay's info came from Delicious Living magazine.

Trivia Note for the day from one of my daughter's textbooks: "North Dakota grows about half of the nations flax seed." I did a little research to confirm that statement since it was in her English book and it proved to be true.

I like to use ground flax in baking (as a butter/oil substitute and as a nutritional boost. I also add ground flax as a yogurt topper. Flax has about the same amount of fat as butter does (you have to use a three to one ratio in replacing flax for butter). If I subsitute flax for butter and the recipe calls for 1/3 cup butter I use 1 cup of ground flax. Sometimes I need to add a bit of liquid to the recipe though. The good news is that flax has tons of good things for you and butter can't compete (except in the amazing flavor of butter, but we won't talk about that...).

No comments: